This cold watermelon soup is perfect for summertime. It cools you down while still bringing some heat thanks to chipotle peppers.
Have you ever tried watermelon gazpacho?
It’s a delicious and refreshing way to utilize some of the best summer produce.
If you aren’t familiar with gazpacho, it is essentially a cold soup made of raw blended vegetables. Previously, we shared our chilled cucumber and avocado soup with you.
This watermelon version is even more refreshing. Because it uses chipotle puree, it has a wonderful balance of sweet and spice.
- Watermelon – Roughly chop a watermelon yourself, or purchase already packed and chopped for a shortcut.
- Cherry Tomatoes -I used multi-colored cherry tomatoes, but you can sub any tomato you’d prefer. Even a large heirloom.
- Cucumber – I used an English cucumber, but any kind will do.
- Onion – I used a medium size white onion. Yellow onion or a few shallots would also work.
- Pepper – A fresh Fresno or jalapeno pepper brings mild heat and extra flavor.
- Chipotle – I use chipotle puree, which is simply canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce that has been blended. You can puree it yourself with an immersion blender or purchase chipotle puree in the jar.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves bring the ideal flavor. Jarred garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Lime Juice – It’s really important to use fresh squeezed lime juice as bottled has preservatives that negatively alter the flavor.
- Cumin – A little bit of cumin adds extra southwest flavor. You can leave it out if you’d prefer.
- Cilantro – I use fresh cilantro in the soup itself and as a garnish.
How To Make
- Add all of the ingredients into a large food processor or blender.
- Pulse until smooth, but still a little chunky.
- Place in soup bowls and garnish as desired with chopped fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- Experiment adding other fresh produce and subtracting or substituting others. Like using roasted Hatch Chiles in place of the chipotle peppers.
- Want a crunchy garnish? Add fresh nuts or seeds like roasted pepitas.
- Hold back a little of each fresh ingredient to chop or slice and use as a garnish.
- Looking to add some protein? Top with shredded crab meat.
- 4 cups diced watermelon
- 3 cups yellow/red cherry tomatoes
- ¼ medium white onion
- 1 Fresno pepper
- 1 medium English cucumber
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoon chipotle pepper puree
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Place all of the ingredients in a large blender or food processor and process until slightly chunky (you may also blend it until completely smooth, if desired). Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, top with diced watermelon, extra sliced Fresno pepper, and cilantro if desired.