Looking for an alcohol shot that’s sweet, tangy, and spicy? Try the Mexican Candy Shot made with tequila & watermelon liqueur.
If you love fruity shots and aren’t afraid of a little spice, you’re going to love these Mexican candy shots!
They’re sometimes called a Mexican lollipop or paleta shot, because their flavor profile is inspired by a Mexican watermelon lollipop candy that’s covered in chamoy sauce and chili powder.
This shot recreates that flavor with watermelon schnapps, tequila, hot sauce, and Tajin. It’s sure to hit all the notes on your tastebuds!
- Tequila – Silver or blanco tequila works best.
- Watermelon Liqueur – I use watermelon schnapps. You can also substitute fresh watermelon juice for a lower ABV.
- Hot Sauce – I like to use chamoy in this shot, but you can use any hot sauce you’d like. Cholula or Tapatio are great choices.
- Tajin –Tajin is a bottled blend of Mexican spices. You can use it to make a flavorful, spicy rim on your shot glass.
- Lime – I like to serve a lime wedge as a garnish and squeeze it into the shot before shooting. This is totally optional.
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
How To Make
- Pour tequila and watermelon schnapps into a cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes.
- Add a few drops of chamoy or hot sauce.
- Shake the lid on the cocktail shaker and shake the ingredients until combined.
- Dip the rims of your shot glasses in Chamoy or hot sauce.
- Then into Tajin.
- Strain the contents of the cocktail shaker into your shot glasses.
- Double the recipe and serve in a rocks glass over ice if you’d prefer to sip on this as a drink instead of a shot.
- No cocktail shaker? Use a mason jar with a lid, a tumbler, or even a protein shaker.
1oz Watermelon Schnapps
4 drops Chamoy or Hot Sauce (+ more for rim)
1 Tablespoon Tajin
2 Lime Wedges (optional garnish)
Add the tequila, watermelon schnapps, and 4 drops of hot sauce to a cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes. Shake until well combined.
Dip the rims of two shot glasses in chamoy, then in Tajin.
Strain the contents of the cocktail shaker into the two shot glasses and serve with a lime wedge.