This layered shot tastes just like pineapple upside-down cake! Pineapple juice, vodka, and grenadine help recreate the classic dessert’s flavor.
Pineapple upside-down cake is one of my favorite desserts, so the idea of recreating it in a shot was too tempting for me to pass up!
Just like the cake, I layered the liquids so that the cherry is on the bottom and the pineapple on the top. Layering the shot is a fun party trick that people always seem to be “wow’d” by. It’s very easy to do, but if you’re in a hurry it tastes the same when you don’t layer it.
- Cake Vodka – Using cake vodka to recreate cake flavor in a shot just makes sense. Vanilla vodka and whipped cream vodka are both good choices for a substitute.
- Pineapple Juice – Canned pineapple juice is ideal to use. I keep my bar stocked with these small cans.
- Grenadine – This shot gets its cherry flavor from the grenadine or maraschino cherry “juice”. You can use some from a jar of cherries or buy it by the bottle.
- Maraschino Cherry – You can leave the cherry out if you’d like, but it’s fun and adds a lot to the shot aesthetically.
- To layer the shot you need to pour the pineapple juice really slowly on top of the grenadine. Using a cocktail spoon with a hammer to break the tension helps, but is not necessary.
- Add ice to the cocktail shaker with the pineapple juice and vodka to chill the shot.
More Shot RecipesPrint
5 Maraschino Cherries
1.5 oz Grenadine
2 oz Pineapple Juice
3 oz Cake Vodka
Prepare 5 shot glasses. Add one stemless maraschino cherry to the bottom of each. Distribute the grenadine evenly among the 5 shot glasses.
Add the pineapple juice and cake vodka to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake to combine, then strain and very slowly pour into each of the shot glasses. (It helps to use one of these to separate the layers.)