This easy, family-friendly dinner recipe combines the flavors of chicken cordon bleu and puts them in a delicious casserole. Can be made from start to finish in less than 45 minutes!
Who needs quick and easy dinner recipes to help get them through the rest of this year? 🙋
I know I do! And when you need a simple-to-make yet filling and comforting dinner what do you turn to? Casseroles!
The new favorite in our house is Chicken Cordon Bleu casserole. It has all the flavors of the classic dish: breaded chicken, ham, and swiss cheese.
- Frozen Breaded Chicken – Frozen chicken helps to make this recipe quick & easy. I’ve found that both Aldi’s Red Bag and Tyson’s Popcorn Chicken work great.
- Ham – I generally use pre-packaged cubed ham for this recipe. If you have leftover ham, you could cube that and use it instead.
- Swiss Cheese – You’ll want to buy a block of swiss cheese so that you can cut it into cubes, roughly the same size as the cubed ham.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – I use Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup. It is essentially the base of the casserole and brings a lot of flavor.
- Sour Cream – I like to use standard sour cream. You can use light instead if you’d prefer. I have not tested it with any dairy-free kinds.
- Milk – Whole milk works best for this recipe. I do not recommend substituting it.
- Breadcrumbs – I use plain breadcrumbs. Store-bought or homemade both work great.
- Pepper – Standard black pepper is all that’s needed to season this recipe since the breaded chicken, ham, and soup bring plenty of sodium.
Can you make it in the Crockpot?
Yes! This casserole can be made in the crockpot. I would recommend swapping out the popcorn chicken for boneless skinless chicken breast. Pour half the soup mixture into the bottom of your Crockpot, then layer the chicken, ham, and swiss cheese – in that order. Pour the rest of the soup over the top of that, then cover generously with breadcrumbs. Put the lid on and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can freeze chicken cordon bleu casserole. Be sure it is in a freezer-safe dish, then cover it with a lid, or tightly with plastic wrap. It will stay good in the freezer for about three months.
Can you make it ahead of time?
It is possible to make this ahead of time, then reheat it.
Can you use Ritz crackers instead of breadcrumbs?
Yes! To make this casserole extra delicious, you can use Ritz crackers instead of the breadcrumbs. I like to toss them in a little butter before baking.
Should it be baked covered or uncovered?
This casserole is best when baked covered for the first 20 minutes, then uncovered for the last 10 minutes.
More Family-Friendly Dinner Recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- One-Pan Fajita Salmon & Veggies
- Pan-Fried Chicken Thighs with Lemon Cream Sauce
More Casserole Recipes
- Sausage Egg McMuffin Casserole
- Instant Pot Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Ham Croissant Breakfast Casserole
1 lb Frozen Breaded Chicken
8 oz Cubed Ham
8 oz Cubed Swiss cheese
1 10.5oz Can Cream of Chicken Soup
⅛ cup Sour Cream
½ cup Whole milk
½ tsp Pepper
⅛ cup Bread Crumbs
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut chicken, ham, and Swiss cheese into ½” cubes.
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray. Add ham and cheese to the dish.
In a small bowl, whisk to combine soup, sour cream, milk, and pepper. Pour on top of ham and cheese
Top with breaded chicken and evenly sprinkle bread crumbs. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
Remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 396