A homemade version of Zaxby’s delicious Zax sauce. It’s perfect for dipping French fries and chicken tenders.
I’m not ashamed to say that almost every time I visit the South I make it a point to swing by Zaxby’s. I just can’t leave without my wings and things platter!
I love their chicken tenders and am obsessed with dipping them in their Zax sauce. It’s also excellent on fries and even as a dressing on salad, or as they say – “zalads”.
The sauce is like “fry sauce” and it’s similar to the sauces at chains like Guthrie’s and Raising Cane’s. It’s creamy, tangy, slightly sweet with a little zip. Yum!
Recently, I’ve started making my own copycat version of Zax sauce at home. That way I can get my fix even when I don’t have time to travel thousands of miles.
To make it yourself, you’ll only need seven common ingredients.
- Mayonnaise – For best results, use a high-quality mayo. I like Duke’s or Hellman’s.
- Ketchup – Heinz is the ideal ketchup to get the flavor just right.
- Seasoned Salt – I like to use Lawry’s seasoned salt.
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground black pepper yields the best flavor.
- Garlic Powder – Any brand of garlic powder works fine. For best results, make sure it has not been open longer than six months.
- White Vinegar – This helps to add a bit of acidity to the sauce that brings the flavors together and balances it out.
- Worcestershire – Adding this will add depth and umami to the Zax sauce.
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
How To Make
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
- Stir together with a spoon or a small whisk until well combined.
- Let it meld. This sauce won’t taste right until it has a chance for all the flavors to meld together. I recommend making it at least 24 hours in advance.
- Make it spicier. We love spice in our house! When we make this we add some heartbeat hot sauce or cayenne to kick it up a notch.
How To Store
Store this sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
More Copycat Recipes
- Cracker Barrel Fried Apples
- Taco Bell Nacho Cheese
- Homemade Crunchwrap Supreme
- Instant Pot Wendy’s Chili
Homemade copycat version of Zaxby’s dipping sauce.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Condiments
- Cuisine: American
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup ketchup
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon + extra dash of Worcestershire sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until smooth.
Refrigerate until ready to use.*
*Tastes best when you let the flavors meld together in the fridge for at least 24 hours before using.
Spot on recipe!! Will be making this at least once a month now.