This fun and festive margarita is perfect for Halloween parties. It features bright green liquid and a black salt rim for ultimate spooky vibes!
When working on the drink menu this year, I knew I wanted to include a simple margarita that screamed Halloween at just a glance. I ended up making a traditional margarita that is bright green in color and has a stunning dark black salt rim.
The best part, however, is the jack o’ lantern garnish. I found the perfectly sized tiny mandarin oranges and I absolutely love how they turned out!
- Tequila – To make sure the green color comes through, you’ll want to use a blanco tequila. Patron silver and Espolón Blanco are both great choices.
- Triple Sec – This orange liqueur is standard in margaritas. No need to splurge on anything fancy, any brand will do.
- Lime – Fresh lime juice is key to making margaritas. Never use the pre-bottled kind as it contains preservatives that negatively alter the flavor.
- Simple Syrup – Simple syrup is simply a 1:1 mixture of sugar and water. You can make your own or pick up a bottle at the store.
- Salt – For Halloween vibes, I used medium coarse black lava salt for the rim.
- Prism Powder – This is what gives our drink it’s bright green color and a bit of sparkle. I used this one made by Fancy Sprinkles.
Jack o’ Lantern Garnish
To make the garnish, I bought the smallest mandarin oranges I could find and used these bamboo skewers.
I tried to draw the face on using an edible ink pen, but unfortunately that kind of ink did not do well on the citrus skin. I ended up using a Sharpie. Sharpie ink is non-toxic, but if you go this route I would recommend telling your guests to keep the garnish out of the liquid.
Another idea would be to carve a jack o’ lantern face into a large slice of orange peel. Here is a great step-by-step guide on how to do that.
More Halloween Recipes
- Halloween Candy Bark
- Skeleton Veggie Tray
- Halloween Snack Mix
- Vampire Bat Marshmallow Pops
- Donut Hole Eye Balls
Black Lava Salt
3 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 oz Triple Sec
6 oz Blanco Tequila
1/8 Teaspoon Prism Powder
2 Mandarin Oranges (optional garnish)
*If making the garnishes, prepare those first by either drawing on the jack o’ lantern face or carving a large peel using one of the methods in the post above. Set aside.
Spread some black lava salt out on a small plate.
Grab two lowball glasses and dip the rim of each in water, then into the black salt. Add ice to each glass then set aside.
Add the lime juice, simple syrup, triple sec, tequila, and prism powder to a cocktail shaker. Shake, then strain into your glasses.
Garnish with your orange jack o’ lanterns, then serve and enjoy!