Love Sonic’s ocean water drink? Make your own version of the blue, coconut flavored soda at home with this easy copycat recipe.
There’s no Sonic around here in LA, but when we go on road trips we always make sure to swing through. And it’s always tough to choose between getting a cherry limeade or an ocean water.
The ocean water is hard to resist because I’m a huge coconut fan – it’s main flavor. In fact, essentially all it is made of is blue coconut syrup and sprite.
Because I already have flavored syrups on hand, I started making my own at home. It’s so easy and I’m going to teach you how!
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
- Coconut Syrup – This is the key to recreating the Sonic Ocean Water flavor. I prefer to use Torani Coconut Syrup.
- Lemon-Lime Soda – They use Sprite at Sonic, so I recommend using it in your homemade version too.
- Food Coloring – Their coconut syrup is blue. Since ours is clear, we’ll add a little bit of blue food coloring.
- Ice – You can use any ice you’d prefer, but if you really want to be authentic, pebble ice is a must. I use an Opal ice maker to make it at home.
How To Make
- Fill a pint glass with pebble ice.
- Add coconut syrup.
- Pour Sprite over the top.
- Add food coloring.
- Garnish & serve.
- Make it a slushy. Ocean water is even more delicious as a slushy. Simply add it to a blender with an extra 1/2 cup of ice and blend until desired texture is reached.
- Use homemade coconut syrup. It’s easy to make your own coconut syrup at home. Just add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1 Tablespoon coconut extract to a sauce pan. Heat over medium-low while stirring until sugar is fully dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
More Copycat RecipesPrint
1.5 oz Coconut Syrup
8oz Lemon-Lime Soda
2 drops Blue Food Coloring
Maraschino Cherry (optional)
Fill a pint glass with pebble ice.
Add coconut syrup, soda, and blue food coloring.
Stir it (I use a bar spoon) until well combined.
Garnish with a cherry if desired, then enjoy!