Weeknight dinner is a breeze with this quick and easy bbq chicken made in the air fryer. Only four ingredients needed to make this tasty recipe!
Like most of you, I’ve fallen in love with my air fryer.
While I use it for breakfast and side dishes the most, I’ve recently been utilizing it to cook chicken breast. The chicken comes out perfectly cooked and juicy every time! And clean up is a breeze.
Since BBQ chicken is one of our go-to dinner mains, I thought I’d share how I make it quickly and easily in the air fryer. Your whole family will love it!
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
- Chicken – I’m including instructions for all different cuts of chicken, but skin-on drumsticks and thighs are my favorite.
- Oil – I prefer olive oil or avocado oil.
- Seasoning – Use any seasoning blend you prefer. I use Lawry’s seasoning salt or a BBQ rub.
- BBQ Sauce – Any BBQ sauce will work, so use your favorite.
How To Make
- Sprinkle the seasoning over chicken, then bush each piece with the oil.
- Bake in air fryer for 15 minutes at 400F.
- Brush each piece with BBQ Sauce.
- Return to the air fryer and bake for 5 more minutes, until chicken skin begins to brown.
Types of BBQ Chicken in The Air Fryer
You can use any kind of chicken cut to make this recipe. You’ll use the same cooking method I showed you above, but the cook temperature and time may be a little different.
To make things easy, I have listed all of the cook temperatures and times below.
Legs & Thighs
Cook at 400F for 15 minutes, then baste with BBQ sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Breasts & Tenders
Cook at 375F for 12 minutes, then baste with BBQ sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Cook at 375F for 7 minutes, then baste with BBQ sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Cook at 400F for 6 minutes on each side, then flip once more and baste with BBQ sauce. Cook another 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
- This recipe is perfect for meal prep! I often make it on Sundays and have one serving for dinner, then place the rest in meal prep containers with some frozen veggies to have for lunch the rest of the week.
- Need to double the recipe? Keep the first batch warm in the oven on a baking sheet at 200 F.
- Prep in advance to make dinner easy. Season the chicken up to 24 hours in advance. Keep in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to oil and bake.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Best Chicken Marinade
- Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Grilled Chicken
Other Air Fryer RecipesPrint
1lb Chicken Legs & Thighs
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1/2 Tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
1/3 Cup BBQ Sauce
Pat the skin on your chicken dry with a paper towel.
Season all over with the Lawry’s, then brush each piece with the oil.
Place the chicken in a single layer in your air fryer, then cook at 400 F for 15 minutes.
Baste each piece of chicken with BBQ sauce, then return to the air fryer for 5 more minutes until chicken starts to brown.
Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately.