These hot chocolate bombs have white chocolate shells and are filled with white hot chocolate mix and vanilla marshmallows.
I’ve always preferred white over milk chocolate, so I decided to make some white hot chocolate bombs for the holiday season this year.
They turned out just how I dreamed they would!
When added to a cup of hot milk they “explode” open revealing the marshmallows and powder inside. Once they dissolve and blend with the milk, it turns into the richest, creamiest, most delicious cup of white hot chocolate you’ve ever had!
If you’re intimidated by making hot chocolate bombs – don’t be! You only need a few ingredients and they’re easier than you think. I kept this recipe super simple so that anyone can follow along. You don’t even need an oven – just a microwave.
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
- White Chocolate Melts – Melts are the easiest way to make the shells – no tempering chocolate required. I used Merckens white chocolate.
- White Hot Chocolate Mix – You can use any store-bought or homemade white hot chocolate mix that you’d prefer. I used Ghirardelli.
- Marshmallows – Marshmallows are a must! I used these dehydrated vanilla marshmallows, but mini marshmallows also work.
- Sprinkles – You don’t have to use sprinkles if you don’t want to, but they do make the bombs more festive. I used these snowflake sprinkles and a few of Fancy Sprinkles Christmas mixes.
You’ll also need a sphere silicone mold.
How To Make
Starting at the top, left to right.
- Pour a small amount of melted hot chocolate into each cavity of your mold.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread it all the way around. Allow it to set for 10-15 minutes in the fridge, then do a second coat.
- After letting the second coat set in the fridge another 15 minutes, use both your hands to carefully remove each half sphere from the mold.
- Add white hot chocolate mix to half of your spheres.
- Add dehydrated or mini marshmallows to each one as well.
- Heat a plate in the microwave or over a boiling pot of water. Take the unfilled half spheres and melt the edges on the hot plate.
- Place the melted half on top of a half filled with hot chocolate and marshmallows. Gently press down to seal.
- Drizzle a bit of extra white chocolate on top of each hot chocolate bomb. I like to fill a Ziploc bag and cut the tip off to make application easy.
- Add some sprinkles to the chocolate you drizzled on before it sets so they will stick.
- Always double coat your shells. This is especially important with white chocolate because it is really thin and brittle. If you don’t do a double coat, your bomb might crack when trying to remove it from the mold.
- If one of the shells breaks while removing it from the mold, don’t fret! You can simply remelt the chocolate and try again.
How To Use Hot Chocolate Bombs
When you’re ready to make a cup of hot chocolate you’ll need a mug and some warm milk.
I like to put 1 cup of milk into a microwave safe pyrex cup and heat it up in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Carefully remove from the microwave (the cup handle might be hot, be sure to wear an oven mitt to protect your hands) and pour into your mug. Be sure to leave plenty of room at the top so the milk doesn’t overflow when you add your hot chocolate bomb.
Take one hot chocolate bomb and gently add it to your mug. After it dissolves into the milk, take a spoon and gently stir to ensure it has melted and the hot chocolate powder is well mixed.
Alternatively, you can add the bomb to the mug and pour the hot milk over the top of it. Stir to ensure it is combined and all the chocolate has melted.
How To Store
You can store these in any airtight container. Keep them in a cool place, out of sunlight.
I think they are best when they are consumed within 1-2 weeks, but you can keep them stored for several months.
More Christmas Recipes
- Crockpot Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
- Starbucks Irish Cream Cold Brew
- Cranberry Moscow Mule
1 1/4 Cups White Chocolate Melts
3 Tablespoons White Hot Chocolate Mix
6 Tablespoons Dehydrated or Mini Marshmallows
Put the white chocolate melts into a microwave container, like this pyrex measuring cup. Microwave on high 30 seconds then stir, repeat this process in 30 second intervals until chocolate is smooth. (It took one minute and thirty seconds in my microwave).
Add a small amount of melted white chocolate to each cavity of your sphere silicone mold. Use the back of a spoon to spread it all the way around the mold.
Place the mold in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and allow the chocolate to set. Remove it from the refrigerator and repeat the process adding one more layer of chocolate (remember to reserve some of the melted chocolate for drizzling at the end). Place in the refrigerator another 10-15 minutes until set.
Take three of the half spheres and evenly distribute the white hot chocolate mix and marshmallows among them.
Heat a plate in the microwave for about 1 minute. Take the three half spheres that haven’t been filled and melt the edge on the plate. Place each one on top of the filled halves. Gently press down to seal.
Take the leftover melted white chocolate and drizzle it on your spheres. Sprinkle on the sprinkles before the chocolate sets so they adhere to it.
Store the hot chocolate bombs in an airtight container in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
When ready to use them, add a sphere to a mug with 1 – 1.5 cups warm milk. Stir until the chocolate is melted and the mix is well combined with the milk. Enjoy!