The question with Thanksgiving leftovers is always what to do with them.
At Thanksgiving dinner, I like the Turkey and sides to mostly be served in the traditional way. I think the leftovers are the time to get really creative.
I’ve loved Monte Cristo’s since I was 9 and spotted one on a menu. Ham, turkey, and cheese between two slices of bread, dipped in a sweet batter, then deep fried??!? And served with jam!? My eyes lit up and from then on every time I saw one on a menu, I ordered it. (Luckily for my health, I don’t come across them too often).
To take the traditional Thanksgiving leftover sandwich to the next level, I decided to morph it into a Monte Cristo.
I used garlic Texas Toast for the bread with a slice of Drunken Goat cheese on both. Then I added a layer of my Sriracha Beer Injected Cajun Turkey and another layer of leftover ham.
The Thanksgiving Monte Cristo is then dipped in a sweet batter and deep fried to golden perfection.
And of course, cranberry sauce makes for the perfect jam.
Texas Toast Thanksgiving Leftovers Monte Cristo Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2lb Leftover Turkey
- 1/2lb Leftover Ham
- 4 slices Drunken Goat Cheese (Swiss or munster would work great too)
- 4 Slices of Texas Toast (I just used the kind from the frozen food section)
- Canola Oil
- Cranberry Sauce
- Add flour, sugar, salt and baking soda to a medium bowl. Mix together well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- Add the egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together until there are no lumps.
- Assemble the sandwich. Use the texas toast for the bread. Place a slice of cheese on the bottom piece, then layer the ham and turkey, top with another slice of cheese and the top piece of texas toast.
- Place a toothpick in each corner of the bread.
- Dip in the batter.
- Fry in a deep fryer, or in a cast iron skillet with canola oil. Fry only a few minutes, until golden brown.
- Slice down the middle, serve with leftover cranberry sauce, and enjoy!