A twist on Long Island Iced Tea, this version gets its bright green color from melon liqueur. It’s a heavy hitting cocktail that comes together quickly.
You’ve probably had a Long Island at this point, but have you tried a Tokyo Iced Tea?
It has a fun bright green color because of the addition of Midori melon liqueur. It also swaps the traditional cola used in a LIIT for lemon-lime soda.
As you might have guessed, this drink was not invented in Tokyo. The name comes from the inclusion of Midori melon liqueur, which is produced in Tokyo.
It’s definitely a boozy cocktail, but pleasant on the tongue because of the fruitiness and sweetness.
- Vodka – Any vodka you prefer will work in this drink.
- Rum – Use light rum to make sure the end result of this cocktail is bright green.
- Gin – Any gin you’d prefer is fine to use.
- Tequila – I recommend using a blanco tequila.
- Triple Sec – Generic triple sec works great in this recipe. No need to bust out the high-end stuff for this cocktail.
- Sweet & Sour – Use store-bought sweet & sour mix, or make your own by using equal parts fresh squeezed lime juice and simple syrup.
- Melon Liqueur – Midori is the most popular melon liqueur. I recommend using it.
- Lemon-Lime Soda – Sprite or 7-Up. Some people even use Mountain Dew or Mellow Yellow.
- Garnish – Maraschino Cherry and/or a lemon or lime wheel.
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
Shake or stir?
To shake or to stir, that is the question!
Ideally, you want to shake everything except the soda together in a cocktail shaker, then pour into a glass of ice and top with soda.
Realistically, bars don’t shake Long Island type drinks and instead build them in the glass and stir everything together with a bar spoon.
If you want to serve this drink at a party, you can easily make a large batch of it. Simply add one cup of each liquor and two cups of sweet and sour mix to a pitcher.
When ready to serve, pour 5 oz of the mix into each cup filled with ice and top with lemon lime soda.Print
1/2 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Rum
1/2 oz Gin
1/2 oz Tequila
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Melon Liqueur
1 oz Sweet & Sour
2 oz Lemon-Lime Soda
Lemon Wheel & Maraschino Cherry (optional garnish)
Add each of the liquid ingredients to a pint glass filled with ice.
Stir with a bar spoon, then garnish as desired.