Summer time means ice cream time.
And if you’re in Southern California, it also means fair time! Which means fair food. Glorious, deep fried fair food.
I’m salivating just thinking about fried milky ways and beer battered bacon sandwiches!
However, my favorite fair food is the classic funnel cake. There’s nothing like some deep fried dough with powdered sugar and fruit on top. Eating one makes you feel as American as if you were holding a Bible & a shotgun. Let freedom ring! (Because I’m in sugar/carb shock and can’t get off the couch to “ring”, ya know?)
I first heard of a funnel cake ice cream sandwiches about two years ago. There was a place here in LA, Ice Que, that was serving them up hot & fresh 2 days per week. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it over there before they closed. I’m not one to be denied what I want, so I figured I should just whip some up and put them on the blog.
Do something you want and call it work? Sounds right up my alley!
I just had my 29th birthday and my Mom was so wonderful and sent me an ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid mixer, as well as the Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream At Home book.
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
Do you know about Jeni’s? It’s one of my favorite ice cream shops. I’ve traveled all over the country sampling the best ice cream, and I tell you, nobody has a better texture than Jeni’s.
It turns out the secret to that Jeni’s wonderful texture is an eggless ice cream base. Corn starch is used in place of the eggs and not only is it cheaper to make, but it is seriously the creamiest ice cream ever. I’m not sure I’ll ever make it another way again.
One of my favorite Jeni’s Ice Cream flavors is Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk. Since we’re swimming in fresh strawberries this time of year and strawberry is the traditional funnel cake fruit topping, it only made sense to make it. Instead of using chopped up strawberries, Jeni blends them into a puree. This helps prevent those solid frozen chunks of berry that are hard to chew.
I feel like you can’t have a proper funnel cake without some fresh fruit, so I decided to also make a strawberry syrup to drizzle over the ice cream. I loved the extra “oomph” of strawberry taste this gave the ice cream sandwich.
We were pleased with how relatively easy the funnel cake ice cream sandwiches were to make. The taste does not disappoint! If you make yours with a different flavor ice cream or toppings, please let us know how it turned out! Maybe we’ll give it a try ourselves next time.
Funnel Cake Ice Cream Sandwich
Mini funnel cakes with homemade strawberry buttermilk ice cream and fresh strawberry purée. It’s like having fair food at home!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream Ingredients
- 1 Pint Strawberries, hulled & sliced
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Cornstarch
- 4 Tablespoons Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 2/3 Cups Heavy Cream
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Light Corn Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Buttermilk
Strawberry Syrup Ingredients
- 3 Cups Strawberries, diced
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
Funnel Cake Ingredients
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Milk
- 3 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Oil for frying (I use Canola)
- Powdered Sugar, for topping
Roasted Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the strawberries and sugar in a glass baking dish. Roast for 8 minutes, or until just soft. Let cool slightly.
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor with the lemon juice. Measure out 2/3 cup of the berry puree and set aside. Store the rest in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Save for another use.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the whole milk with the cornstarch. Once combined, mix in the cream cheese and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and continue boiling for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually mix in the cornstarch slurry mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heatproof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese until smooth. Add the reserved 2/3 cup strawberry puree and the buttermilk. Blend well. Pour mixture in a glass or stainless steel bowl and place in the refrigerator until it has reached room temperature or cooler.
- Pour ice cream into ice cream maker and spin according to manufacturer’s instructions, until smooth and creamy. Transfer to your storage container (a bread pan works great in a pinch) and seal with an airtight lid. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid as reduced by 1/3-1/2. 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Syrup will thicken. Store refrigerated in an airtight container.
Funnel Cake Ice Cream Sandwich
- Add the eggs and sugar to a large bowl. Beat until incorporated.
- Add the milk and whisk. Once combined add the flour salt and baking soda. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- In a cast iron skillet or large pot, add your oil until it covers 1-2 inches. Heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees. To test oil, drop a little batter in. If it cooks quickly, it is ready.
- Plug the bottom of a funnel with your finger. Fill with your batter. When over the oil, remove your finger and move around quickly making a design that is about 3-4 inches in diameter. When funnel cake is brown on both sides, remove from pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until you have used all your batter.
- Scoop some ice cream on top of one of your funnel cakes. Spoon a little bit of the strawberry syrup on top of the ice cream. Place another funnel cake on top and very gently press down. Sift powdered sugar over the top. Stuff in your face.
- Calories: 339
The funnel cake sandwich consisting of ice cream and strawberries sounds totally decadent.
I am developing a funnel cake offering for an Asian country and this has set my mind spinning. Thanks
Love this crazy idea! I’ll be making it when strawberries are in season again.