- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (about 1 pound) sliced fresh strawberries (very ripe)
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (freeze beforehand)
- In a medium sized saucepan, whisk together milk, cream, powdered sugar, and cornstarch.
- Place the pan over medium heat and continue to whisk constantly for 7-10 min, or until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove mixture from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and cool completely (I put plastic wrap on the surface of the mixture for 2 hours until mixture was cool to the touch).
- While mixture is cooling, purée the strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- After the gelato mixture has cooled, put the purée through a strainer and fold into the mixture (getting rid of as many seeds as possible).
- Put the now strawberry gelato mixture back into the refrigerator (once again with plastic wrap on the surface) for another 3 hours.
- Use your ice cream maker to turn the mixture into gelato. I left the mixture churn for 10 min.
- Add the mini chocolate chips for the last 5 min of churning OR once you have spooned the gelato into a freezer safe container fold them in.
- Freeze gelato for at least 2 hours before serving.