Our favorite Southern foods fuse together in this recipe to create the perfect spicy & savory sandwich: a Nashville Hot Shrimp Po’ Boy.
A day where you are supposed to eat anything and everything you want? Now there’s a holiday I can get behind!
This year has been flying by so fast I could hardly believe Fat Tuesday was almost here.
I always make something ‘Nola-inspired, but came dangerously close to forgetting this year.
Last year, I made a festive King Cake Ice Cream.
This year, I’m bringing my love for all things Nashville Hot into the mix with this Nashville Hot Shrimp Po’ Boy.
There’s nothing wrong with a little Nashville x NOLA fusion, if you ask me!
This post contains affiliate links (when you buy we make a little money at no cost to you). See our disclosure for more information.
Shrimp Po Boy’s are one of my all-time favorite Southern foods. If anyone had told me how difficult it was to find a decent Po Boy in Los Angeles I probably would have never moved here.
I LOVE the kick the Nashville spice glaze gives the shrimp. If you need to cool it down a little, add some tartar sauce, or my personal favorite, kewpie mayo.
- 1lb Shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Louisiana-style Hot Sauce
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- Oil for frying (I use canola)
- 1/2 Cup Butter (melted)
- 3 Tbsp Cayenne (Nashville Hot is really hot, if you want a milder version use 1 Tablespoon of Cayenne)
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 4 French Rolls
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 Large Tomato, sliced
- Dill Pickles, sliced
- Tartar Sauce (optional)
- Get two bowls. In one bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, and hot sauce. In the other bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- Heat up the oil in your deep fryer, or in a cast iron skillet to 325 degrees F.
- Take each shrimp and dredge it in the flour, then dip in the milk/egg mixture, and back into the flour again. Shake off the excess in between each step.
- Fry shrimp in batches (I could fit 4-5 at a time in my small fryer), for about 4 minutes. Move to a wire rack.
- To make the Nashville Hot glaze, heat up the butter until melted (I just use the microwave). Add the cayenne, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Brush over each side of the fried shrimp.
- To assemble to Po Boy, fill french roll with lettuce and sliced tomato. Top with Nashville hot shrimp and sliced pickles. Top with tartar sauce, if you please.
- Calories: 550