- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 oz bittersweet or over 70% cacao chocolate, chopped
- 2 cup raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 1/4 cup of the milk with the cream, powdered sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa powder.
- Place the pan over medium heat and continue to whisk constantly for 7-10 min, or until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat, add the chopped dark chocolate, and whisk until the chocolate is completely melted. Add in remaining 1 cup of milk and whisk thoroughly.
- Place plastic wrap over the surface of the mixture and refrigerate for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the mixture is cooled completely through.
- While the mixture is cooling, prepare your raspberry sauce. In a saucepan, combine the berries and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue boiling for about 5-8 min, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly and then strain through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Refrigerate until cold.
- Once the gelato mixture is cool, strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer and pour into an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions (for my ice cream maker it said to churn for 15-20min. For the gelato I let it churn for 10 min and it seemed ready to go).
- Layer the raspberry sauce and gelato into an airtight container. Spoon a couple spoonfuls of sauce on the bottom, then a layer of gelato, more sauce, gelato, and some sauce on the top.
- Freeze for 2 hours before eating.