NAKED CHAMPAGNE CAKE
- 4 1/2 cups plain flour
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 9 egg whites
- 3 cups champagne
- pomegranate jewels
- edible flowers
CHAMPAGNE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 180 grams unsalted butter (room temp)
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar ( put 1/4 cup aside for dusting )
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1/8 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract or paste
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease three 9-inch cake pans
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl then set aside.
- Take a mixing bowl beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with flour to prevent curdling.
- Pour your batter into pans and bake 35 minutes or until you can insert a skewer in thecentere and it comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool completely. Now prepare your frosting.
- Take a mixing bowl and beat butter for about one minute.
- Then gradually add sugar, champagne, milk and vanilla and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Once all cakes have cooled you can start to build the Naked Cake.
- Place your first cake on to a plate or cake stand, top side down.
- Cover the top with your delicious frosting, then put another cake on top and repeat to make your three layers.
- Now for the dressing. Let your creative juices flow.Place berries and pomegranate jewels randomly on top of the cake and on the buttercream layers.
- Place a few as decorations also at the base of your chosen stand or plate. Edible and toxic free flowers make a lovely addition. Roses are a favorite of mine and used here.
- Finally dust with the extra icing sugar. Be careful to not overdo it as you want to appreciate all your berries and flowers. Serve fresh!