I love oatmeal. My Granny made it pretty regularly for me growing up, so it is my number one comfort food.
Putting it in a baked casserole like this is just genius. It comes out all fluffy in the middle, with a little crisp around the edges.
I used raspberries, blueberries, and bananas for toppings. Of course, you should feel free to substitute or add anything you’d like. Some other people have topped it with some mini chocolate chips, but I don’t care for chocolate in my oatmeal so I stuck to fruit.
2 cups rolled oats (I prefer these)
1/3 cup brown sugar + 1 tablespoon for topping
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raspberries
1/3 cup blueberries
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9×9 baking pan with non-stick spray. (If you do not have a 9×9 pan, you can use 9×13 but your casserole will obviously be thinner.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and half the berries. In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add you oat mixture to your baking dish. Arrange your bananas and remaining berries on top.
- Now take your milk mixture and pour over the top of everything. Allow a few minutes for it to soak down into your oats.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of brown sugar on top and place in oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the top has turned golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Store in an air-tight container (Ziploc bags work great) in the fridge. Take out leftovers as needed and microwave 1-3 minutes for a quick and easy breakfast.